Are you on thyroid medication and are looking for ways to come off it?
I was. And I learnt the hard way.
Now, anyone who has suffered with hypothyroidism or Hashimoto’s will know just how debilitating it can be when your thyroid gland doesn’t work as it should do.
The medical approach to addressing the problem is to put you straight on medication. I was advised to do that back in my early 20s when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism.
Well, as I was becoming more and more aware of natural ways of addressing health issues, I thought that I should just stop taking my thyroid medication.
It was a BIG mistake.
Let me share more with you in this video:
Why You Should Never Suddenly Stop Thyroid Medication
Over the last 7 years, we’ve worked with hundreds of clients.
Hormonal, including thyroid imbalances are experienced by most of the women who come to work with us.
Whilst we’ve seen some of our clients successfully come off their thyroid medication, some women need to remain on it.
And if you want to try and wean yourself off it, you should definitely do this whilst under your doctor’s supervision, gradually, and by addressing other underlying factors that may be adversely affect your thyroid.
So here are just some of the reasons why you should not abruptly stop taking your thyroid medication.
1. Your body is reliant upon medication it must be given hormone medication as it just can’t produce any or anywhere near enough of its own.
If you have no thyroid due to a (thyroidectomy) or Hashimotos for a prolonged period of time, too much damage may have been caused and your thyroid can’t produce the hormones that are needed for your body to function properly. Coming off medication won’t help the issue …
2. HPT axis communication (hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid gland). This is the communication network between your hypothalamus gland, pituitary gland (both in your brain) and your thyroid gland. If you are already taking thyroid medication for hypothyroidism, then this will interfere with this whole system.
The problem if you suddenly stop taking your thyroid hormone replacement is that your body has not had any time to adjust itself to the sudden loss of hormones that you have been giving it.
And this loss of hormones can actually take weeks or even months for your thyroid to start producing by itself again, if at all.
3. Your medication might not be the issue. You might be feeling really bad and have all the thyroid symptoms, but it may have little or nothing to do with your actual thyroid medication. Your diet, your gut health, nutrient levels, including other important lifestyle factors can have a very big impact upon your health and how you feel and this is something we see with so many of our clients who have thyroid issues.
4. Supplements can’t replace thyroid medication. Supplements should not be taken as a replacement for actual thyroid hormone medications.
They can certainly have their place in a healthy regime to support your thyroid, but there are many other factors to consider.
For example, taking large doses of iodine can actually hurt your thyroid gland instead of supporting it, as we explain here.
So here are a few more sensible actions that you can take instead of suddenly stopping your thyroid medication:
- Work on removing the root cause of your thyroid imbalances, including optimizing your liver, gut, losing excess weight, changing your nutrition plan, etc.
- Try a different hormone replacement if you feel your current one is not working well for you. Don’t be reluctant to go and see your doctor and explain how you are feeling. Symptoms are very important. If your doctor is not helpful, then find a new one.
- Alter your dose of thyroid medication.
- Support your thyroid with some supplementation that is going to help it function to its best potential,
Ready for your big health leap?
We’re excited to invite you to our FREE online masterclass.
During our training, we’ll walk you through the 5 steps our clients use to overcome hormonal imbalances and drop 10-50 pounds of extra weight … whilst never restricting themselves of carbohydrates and sugar.
P.S. If you want us to help you reverse your hormonal issues, reduce or get off medication and release weight naturally – schedule your Health Accelerator Call and let’s talk about your next steps.
Looking to balance your hormones, reverse your health challenges and drop weight naturally? Join our free online masterclass and discover the 5 steps our clients use to create the health, body and life of their dreams ...