How can you make the ultimate and super healthy green smoothie?
Fruit and green smoothies are a great and easy way to nourish your body with essential nutrients and get your calories from.
Here is my video about it:
Instructions for making a healthy green smoothie
- Add some water to your blender. You don’t need to add a huge amount – just enough to mix the ingredients, like ¼ to ½ cup. If you have coconut water, you can use it instead – it tastes amazing.
- Add fruit. If you have a smoothie for breakfast or lunch, it will need to give you enough calories to keep you going for good few hours. So putting in 1 banana and 1 apple will not add up to many calories. If you are used to having 600-800 calories (or more!) for breakfast and then lunch, then you will need to add an equal amount of fruit. For example, 8 bananas, or 7 peaches and 2 pears. To learn how to log your calories, see this video.
- Add greens (if you want a healthy green smoothie). Aiming for 1-2 pounds of greens per day is going to benefit you. Greens are a very nutrient dense food that is rich in minerals. They are also highly cleansing and alkalizing. A variety of lettuces, baby spinach, celery, kale – these are just some for you to choose from. You will get more nutrients out of your greens if you blend them, vs juice, chop and simply eating them. Personally, I really like green smoothies for lunch and I add some barley grass juice powder to boost the nutrient content of my smoothies too.
- Combine your fruit well. Sweet fruit, like bananas and persimmons combine will with sub-acid fruit like pears, peaches and nectarines. However, they do not combine well with acid fruit, like oranges, kiwis and pineapples. Sub-acid fruit will combine well with acid fruit. Alternatively, you can have a mono fruit smoothie, blending just one type of fruit, i.e. just mangoes or just bananas.
- Add some optional seeds. Seeds like chias are rich in Omega 3, whereas sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds are rich in Omega 6. So if you added ½ tablespoon of chia seeds and ½ tablespoon of sunflower seeds to your smoothie, you will get a healthy ration of Omega 3 and 6s and will probably find that fattier smoothies will keep you going for longer. Just make sure you soak your seeds for about 4 hours in clean water before you consume them and blend them well.
- Pulse your blender on and off, instead of letting it run. In this way, you will minimize oxidation.
- If you are heading out, pour your smoothie into a bottle and take it with you. It will loose some of its nutrients, however you will have your healthy meal with you to help you avoid the scenario when you become really hungry and get tempted by the foods that will not serve your health. A fruit smoothie is your fast food on the go!
Looking to balance your hormones, reverse your health challenges and drop weight naturally? Join our free online masterclass and discover the 5 steps our clients use to create the health, body and life of their dreams ...