Got insulin resistance? You can reverse it naturally by eating more carbs and today we’ll tell you how.
What is insulin resistance?
Insulin is a hormone made in the pancreas, an organ located behind the stomach. The pancreas contains clusters of cells called islets.
Insulin resistance happens because many of the cells in your body become resistant to the hormone insulin.
For example, you eat a meal that contains sugar in it in the form of glucose. As the glucose is absorbed into your bloodstream from your gut, a signal goes to your pancreas to tell it to start producing insulin.
This helps transport the sugar coming into the bloodstream to cells in your body that need the glucose for fuel.
The insulin resistance happens when the cells that the insulin hormone is delivery the glucose to start to become resistant to it.
This then causes the pancreas to produce even more insulin in an effort to deliver the glucose to these insulin resistant cells in the body that need it.
The problem with insulin resistance
Insulin resistance increases the risk of developing type 2 diabetes and prediabetes. Prediabetes usually occurs in people who already have insulin resistance.
The health risks associated with having type 2 diabetes include:
- You are up to 5 times more likely to develop heart disease or have a stroke.
- Nerve damage, so a tingling or burning pain or numbness that you can experience in your fingers and toes and can spread through your limbs.
- Eye damage (diabetic retinopathy) when the retina at the back of the eye becomes damaged.
- Hearing problems.
- Problems with your feet such as foot ulcers and even having to have toe amputations.
- Foot and lower leg amputations.
- Sexual dysfunction, like erectile dysfunction for men.
- Increased risk of miscarriage and still birth.
- Kidney disease.
- Shorter life span.
A Princeton University study of about 20,000 adults found that diabetes cuts about 8 1/2 years off life expectancy. (1)
So not only can your quality of life be greatly affected by having type 2 diabetes, but it can most probably significantly shorten your lifespan.
What really causes insulin resistance?
High consumption of dietary fat plays a big role in insulin resistance. That’s right, it’s fat and not the carbohydrates that are really the problem.
For example, when we work with our clients with insulin resistance, pre-diabetes or type 2 diabetes and change their diet and lifestyle, they significantly improve their insulin resistance in a very short space of time. They are able to reverse their type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetic condition very quickly, often in a matter of just 2-3 weeks.
Many studies have been conducted over the years that show a high carbohydrate diet can make a very positive impact on type 2 diabetes.
One such study reported that as many as two-thirds of diabetics were able to discontinue with their use of insulin.
Almost all of them stopped oral medication when they switched to a low-fat diet. (2)
Another study found evidence for the benefits of a plant-based diet in treating type 2 diabetes and reducing key diabetes-related complications. (3)
So it’s not a healthy high carb plant diet that’s a problem.
It’s a high fat diet and in particular a fat called saturated fat.
Saturated fat is found in:
- Animal foods such as meats, dairy, eggs and fish
- Certain plant foods like coconut flesh, oils and nuts and seeds.
Reversing insulin resistance naturally
A well balanced diet that’s high in healthy carbs and lower in fat can help you reverse pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes.
Here’re some steps you can take now to help your insulin resistance (increase insulin sensitivity):
- Make sure to have a diet that is low in fat and high in whole food carbohydrates..
- Remove the highly processed and junky carbs from your diet and switch to whole food carbs.
- Make sure to exercise enough and on a consistent basis, with at least 30 minutes of fast paced walking activity each day.
Ready for your big health leap?
We’re excited to invite you to our FREE online training.
During our masterclass, we’ll will walk you through the 5 steps our clients use to overcome ongoing health conditions and release 10-50 lbs of extra weight … whilst never restricting themselves of carbohydrates and sugar.
P.S. And don’t forget to join our free Facebook group – THE HEALTH REGENERATION HUB.
Looking to balance your hormones, reverse your health challenges and drop weight naturally? Join our free online masterclass and discover the 5 steps our clients use to create the health, body and life of their dreams ...